LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Sunday 10 October, 2010

Malpighia glabra – as a Bonsai

Glabra - Buds Upclose 

Common names include Acerola, Barbados cherry, Wild Crapemyrtle.

Pink Blossom - Up close
Malpighia glabra: Is a tropical fruit-bearing Evergreen shrub or small tree in the family Malpighiaceae, with spreading branches on a short trunk. It is usually 2–3 m (6.6–9.8 ft) tall, but sometimes reaches 6 m (20 ft) in height

Glabra - Fruit
Nothing is more satisfying for an avid gardener / plant lover, than constantly working towards adding n collecting, growing new varieties of plants, and yes working with them too … hands on.

In my personal quest, to add to my ever-growing Bonsai Collection at home, and collect new varieties of plants from time to time, I bought two small Malpigihia glabra’s, and a Brazillian rain tree, 3 years back. The plants where lanky n fragile, with little foliage, but had good branch ramification; an important prerequisite for any good bonsai.

Way back in spring 2008, while I was getting the plants potted into appropriate Bonsai pots, I discovered that one of the glabra plants had some amazing set of long roots, with a well-spread out branching pattern that could easily be trained to cling n grow on a rock, to achieve the coveted ‘Root over the Rock’ style of Bonsai and the other one could be trained into a ‘Twin Trunk Bonsaibetween rocks.

I immediately set to work……………..and even today, I am still working and enjoying every moment I get to spend with these teeny-tiny plants – watering n pruning them into shape, just like any other garden plant. ERGO, I maybe a little more bent n biased towards my Bonsai - showering them with a little more nurturing n care.

Twin Trunk Glabra & Informal Upright style Rain Tree
Rain Tree, Cascading Jade, Glabra
It requires a lot of patience n hard work to train a bonsai plant into ‘Root over the rock style as the take a long time to grow n cling to the Rock, securing the plant in position.

A Picture of the plant in early stage of Training


Recent Pictures of the same Plant… 
after getting it re-potted into a Proper Bonsai Container.




Thx to the ABA Grp President, Arora Aunty, 
who helped me re-pot it during one of our Bonsai Workshops.

Side View of the Roots, Trunk, Foliage
Glabra is an extremely  popular bonsai subject here in India because of its small leaf, dense foliage, beautiful pink, blossom, small fruit and fine ramification. It is also grown as an ornamental  and for hedges. As a Bonsai, it adapts readily to the weather conditions prevailing here and is easy to shape into a specified style.

Malpighia Glabra - Root over the Rock style
Finally as can be seen in the above pic....
 this slanting flow of the plant,... 'Root over the Rock LOOK'
 ....is what appeals to me the most.

The plant looks so different here.... Isn't it?

However, it is the same plant, but shot at a 'Different Angle'....
...displaying all the mesmerizing qualities of a BONSAI!

4 comments:

Dig, Grow, Compost, Blog said...

Those are really lovely! I've heard glabra called Barbados cherry but not wild crapemyrtle. But now that you have mentioned it, the buds look a lot like crapemyrtle. Again, really beautiful bonsai.
Namaste,
Jean

debsgarden said...

I have always been fascinated by bonsai. I have one little bonsai fig tree, but I confess it was already that way when i bought it. You skill shows. These specimens are very nice. They are as beautiful as the ones in the bonsai house at Birmingham Botanical Gardens, near where I live. I love the root over the rock!

Victoria said...

Wow...fabulous post! And yes so mesmerizing..such beauties..thanks for sharing your magic!
Kiki
Wishing you a day full of sparkles!

Andrea said...

They are already very beautiful, but bonsais are always works in progress. I also love that bougainvillea on your right sidebar. I wanted to do them after college, but if you always leave the house for days ahead like me, it will be frustrating. I somehow managed to make something on a hardwood which i left in the province with my mother, it was already taking shape after 4 yrs, but during the last dry season, mother forgot to water it, and it died. Depressing but what can i say, my mother is 80 yrs old. I also keep photos of them from bonsai shows, and those very very old trees are really awesome!