LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Wednesday 22 June, 2011

Mango - 'Make-a-Wish' Tree

Summer in India heralds the season of the Delicious n Juicy Fruits like Aam / Mangoes, along with the Litchi / Lychee, Tarboj / Watermelons n Kharbooja / Mashmelons.
Soak the Mangoes in water to reduce n wash off  Pitta (heat)
While I like them all, my personal fav among them, is most definitely the delightful Mango, referred to as the ‘King of Fruits’ n also ‘the Nectar of the Gods’. You can savour the ripe mangoes fresh from the trees or make pickles or chutneys or moraba (jam) from the unripe ones or quench your thirst with chilled summer drinks like Aam panna or refreshing Mango Shake or even Punjabi Mango laasi or merely devour them as katha-meetha aam papad or sweet mango kheer for desert.

While I have been praising this stately fruit, let me not forget the MANGO TREE, which happens to be one of the most majestic trees here in India - what with their tall n thick trunk, dense foliage, with wide spreading branches forming  a Magnificent Umbrella Canopy.
Four Mango-laden  Trees growing in our side yard, form a near perfect Umbrella Canopy together.....

What I really like about these trees is that they form one large single unit together, while, up close they are four different trees. We need to learn something from them.... they don't jostle for space, they each seem happy and contend growing  harmoniously together.
Helpers collecting n picking mangoes, hand plucked by the gardener high up on the branches.
Can you spot the gardener precariously perched between the dark n dense foliage above (right) ????

Basket n Baskets full of Dusheri Mangoes is ready to be savoured.
 We have some 8-10 mango trees growing in our yard here in the city n another sprawling 45 acres of Mango grove in Nawabgunj countryside, about 150 Kms from here, specializing in the Rose tinted Gulab khas, Green Dusheri, Yellow Zardalu, Langra, Chausa, Safeeda varieties of mangoes n other lesser known varieties - Makhan, Fakira, maste-anar, katha-meetha, dil-pasand, kishen-bhog, shakul.
Our Mango grove @ Nawabgunj countryside - old trees interspersed with some recent plantations.

Some More Mango Trees...
The mango grove initially belonged to the last ruling Nawab of Oudh, Nawab Nawajid Ali n his family and was established way back in 1906. It is believed that about 1000 saplings of the rose flavoured ‘Gulab khas’ variety, came all the way from Afghanistan. These trees are a little over 100 yrs old.
The Rose Flavoured Mangoes  i.e. 'Gulab Khas' originally from Afghanistan
Its a highly delicate variety, as the mangoes tend to spoil even if pressed gently n have to be handled with utmost care.
After independence, Rani Rehula Shakuntala, is known to have bought 215 bigha’s of Mango grove from the Nawab. After the Indo-Pak partition, the Rani permanently shifted base to Pakistan, selling this property to my grandfather, in 1960’s. As a little kid, I used to be fascinated with this bit of history n other tell-tales associated with Nawabgunj. In retrospect, I have come to appreciate the bounty and marvel of Nature,  trees, flowers, fruits, plants, art of bonsai, the whole gamut of beautiful  greens around us.

Here’s another interesting tale about Mango Tree’s from ‘The Book of Nature’ by Ruskin Bond.

Mango Blossoms...
In the Folklore of India, the Mango is considered to be a ‘wish fulfilling tree’ or  'Make-a-Wish' Tree.
So, when you want to make a wish on a mango tree, shut your eyes and get someone to lead you to the tree; then rub mango blossoms in your hands and make a wish. 
The favour granted lasts only for a year and the charm must be performed again at the next flowering of the tree. 
So,
Go ahead....... n  Make a Wish! For all you know, it might just get granted.
Blossom giving way to Bunch of Mangoes...high up on the Tree.
Finally.... the Fruits of Labour... Dusheri Mangoes  (Desapped, Soaked, Washed n Dried)
Unripe ones well suited for making pickles n aam panna (green mango drink)

Too bad, I just read about the folklore only recently, and so could not 'make-a-wish' this flowering season but, yeah, I intend to give it a tryduring the next mango flowering season, come Spring. I have already started working on my rather long 'WISH LIST' and hoping that the Mango Tree would grant them all. Amen.


My entry for Outdoor Wednesday # 128

28 comments:

Andrea said...

HI, mango is my favorite fruit next to jackfruit. However, it is only the 'Carabao' mango we have here for export. Even my dissertation is on mango. But at home we have a few varieties in the farm including the 'Katchamita', which is commonly called Indian mango here. It is good to eat only at the breaker stage or still green peel but yellow flesh. Lots of it just rot near the tree because it is not used in commerce. I feel like cutting the 4 trees we have to give space for the 'Carabao' variety. Oh i can eat thefully ripe fruit every meal.

But those you show are very beautiful, although we dont favor it here, even if we also have it.

Rick said...

These look mouth-wateringly delicious ! Very interesting post.

Ever Green Tree said...

Andrea...You have got to try them... They are a delicacy here, both the Gulab khas n Dusheri varieties. We have been growing Mangoes commercially for almost 50 yrs now and most of the produce is auctioned and sent across to neighboring districts and towns of N. India. Personally, we don't export any mangoes as of now, though a lot of it is getting exported from Malihabad, the mango growing belt here. Haven't heard of the Carbabao variety but would surely like to try it :) Thx for stopping by.

@ Rick... Glad you found it interesting. Thx.

aspiritofsimplicity said...

I am eating mango sorbet as I type. Yummy.

Sharon Creech said...

Fascinating--thanks so much for the pics and background. I've never eaten a mango but will certainly try one now.

Lori E said...

The header for your blog is one of the most beautiful I have ever seen. Your entire blog is a feast for the eyes.

Hage og Foto entusiast said...

A lot of beautiful picture. And sooo much mangoes. I love mango,but the ones you got here in Norway is a bit hard and bitter compared to them in south. You are lucky :D Have a nice day

Brandi said...

your mango trees are gorgeous. i can only imagine how wonderful it would be to have my very own mango trees growing in my yard. thank you for sharing.

forgetmenot said...

Mangoes---so delicious!! What fun having mango trees in your yard. Imteresting history and business to be involved in. I love the pictures on your sidebar--you have taken so many beautiful photos. Have a nice weekend. Mickie :)

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Hi,
So wonderful that we have this technology that we can communicate with someone all the way from India. It was so fun to learn about the Mango. I love it as a topping on fish tacos. Also, made into salsa. Never really thought much about the tree that it came from. It is definately beautiful! Wish I knew how to do all that you do with them. There are no mango trees to be found here in Utah. But I pray that all your wishes will come true. Thank you so much for visiting my blog and for your sweet comment.

deborah said...

I love mangos! I am sure they taste better fresh than the ones I can buy here in the grocery stores! Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. I hope you stop by often!

EG CameraGirl said...

I hope all your wishes come true!

Poppy @ With a Dash of Color said...

Wow, thanks for sharing these beautiful pictures with us. I've never seen mango blossoms before.. loved going through all your beautiful images and the background. Thanks for visiting me! Stop by and say hello anytime.~Poppy

http://withadashofcolor.blogspot.com/

La said...

I love mangoes. I had mango wine cooler this evening after work.

Evanir said...

Sou brasileira ,,apesar da grande variedade de frutas nessa época do ano aqui as grandes colheitas são de laranjas ,morango e a manga já esta em final de colheita.
E Dezembro temos a colheita da uva na verdade são muitas frutas .
Eu me encantei com essa plantação com arvores de 100 anos.
Um feliz final de semana beijos ,Evanir.
Estou seguindo seu blog convido a seguir o meu.

Rajesh said...

Wonderful post. I love mangoes.

Pat said...

Mangoes are my favorite fruit! I had never seen a mango tree before or even a picture of one before until I saw your post today. The four mango trees do make a beautiful umbrella shape all together. I see that here, too, with oak trees growing close together--from far away they look like one tree. Ponderosa pines are like that, too. In fact I think in most cases trees growing very close together will look like a single tree from far away.

இ Baŋäŋaz இ said...

Love your header with the 'dancing' mango. Oh its "King of Fruit" & "Nectar of the Gods" in your country as for Malaysian our thorny, Durian fruit is the King. Oh love the mango lassi and the fruit too. Wow 45 acres is huge so the produce are for local consumption or to be exported?

Birdman said...

Wonderful, colorful shots for the start of summer.

Dimple said...

I love mangoes, but have only had the varieties which can be purchased in the grocery stores. I'm sure they would be even more delicious if they were tree-ripened!
This is a very interesting post!

Rachael said...

Mmmm...I LOVE mangoes! They are in season, right now, here in Florida also...I think I need to go get me some!

Carver said...

Great shots. The trees are beautiful and the mangoes look delicious.

Rusty in Miami said...

Great post, mangos are in season now here in Florida, in two weeks we have the mango festival at our local tropical garden, I am planning to buy a tree for my garden.

Leovi said...

Beautiful series of photos of this wonderful fruit. I love mango. I usually take into slices with a little salt and olive oil is delicious.

Icy BC said...

Your mangoes look so delicious, fresh and wonderful. I love mango, when it's fresh like this.

Ever Green Tree said...

@ Bananaz...As of now, the produce is for local consumption only. Yeh, i too liked the header n thought of using it for a while during the mango season. Thx. I appreciate your stopping by and leaving a comment.

Owlfarmer said...

I'm trying to wean myself back to mangoes, having eaten them frequently as a child (fifty years ago), and "losing" them later in life. I bought one the other day, and now you've inspired me to go use it. Thanks, too, for visiting the Farm.

Dig, Grow, Compost, Blog said...

You know, I've eaten a lot of mangoes and have seen even more up close photos of mangoes, but I've never seen a mango tree. Thanks so much for showing them and for the information about them.