LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Friday 21 August, 2009

SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST....

.... Acclimatization n Adaptability to Change!

Have you ever wondered why some plants seemingly take longer to adapt and get acclimatized to their new home environs, while some thrive and flourish from the start word ‘GO GREEN’? Still many others simply don’t adapt themselves and hence perish.

I guess Darwin might just have the answer to this particular wondering question at hand. It indeed is ‘SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST’ in terms of gradual Acclimatization and inherent qualities of Adaptability to Change.

From time to time, I like to visit the local Plant Mart here, for different n newer varieties of plants. Even when I travel, I almost always try and visit a local plant nursery and buy a plant or two to carry back home with me as souvenirs.

Elucidating with a few examples and my personal experience with plants :-

Few years back, I had brought four Mame Bonsai’s with me, all the way from China ~ a Ficus retusa; Chinese Elm; Pepper and Cypress. While I thought the Cypress wouldn’t survive the extreme climatic variations of N. India, it adapted and acclimatized itself well and lasted the longest.

Here’s a picture of the Pepper Tree :-


Notice the ‘S- Shape’ curved trunk line, which is quite typical in many of the Chinese styled Bonsai.
.
Though a hardy plant, it didn’t survive long.
Too Bad! I really liked its teeny- tiny green leaves.

Then again, I brought Pre-Bonsai material….i.e. a Eucalyptus, an Indonesian Premna, and Boxwood from Mumbai last October. Somehow, I lost the Eucalyptus in less than a month’s time; however the Premna and boxwood are doing fairly well, in their new home with us.

More recently, my bro & sis-in-law bought back two plants from their visit to a hill station in N. India. These plants look like a bunch of beautiful GREEN COLOURED FLOWERS. It’s been a little over a month now, and I am afraid to loose this single one on the left hand side, as it is not doing too well, in spite of having kept them both under the shade with other healthy green plants ensuring adequate and timely watering.


From EverGreen Tree


A Cousin once presented us with some of the most Exotic Caladiums, with bright and colourful foliage in vivid garden shades. She had got them for us from Pune or maybe from a nursery in Bangalore. But again none of the 5-6 plants survived here..... Nonetheless, I would definitely like to buy a few Caladiums and give it another try, ensuring that they adapt well and get acclimatized to their changed environment.


From EverGreen Tree


Here's a cute little plant (American Karunda)...
I added to my Collection few weeks back.....

It is doing well as off now, but keeps loosing a leaf or two n more - Enough to give me a scare. Keeping my Fingers Crossed n hoping it Survives n last me through the years.
Dear Readers, Looking forward to reading your similar experience n stories which you might like to share here with me.....

2 comments:

Terra said...

Your bonsai trees and plants are very artistically pruned and I can see they are well cared for.
I admire bonsai though I don't grow them.
Thanks for sharing these photos.

Ever Green Tree said...

Hi Terra,

I am glad you were here to admire my Bonsai and appreciate them too.

Thx a ton.